Midwifery is catching. In some parts of BC, Registered Midwives catch 30% of babies. At Pomegranate, we have more than 12 midwives working to serve the needs of our community and most of our families live within several kilometers of the clinic.
Midwifery is listening. We support women’s choices by learning about you and your values and providing you with up-to-date information about health care options so you can make the best choice for you and your family. Birth is a life-changing event. Our goal is to help you feel honored throughout the process.
Midwifery is covered by the Medical Services Plan in BC
- Women can self-refer. You can call us as soon as you know you are pregnant.
- Midwives provide full-service prenatal, birth and postpartum care.
- You can choose where you want to birth your baby, home or hospital.
- Midwives offer the same tests and procedures as doctors in BC.
- You can have a natural birth, pain medication and undergo a c-section with your midwife.
Midwifery care in BC is an integral part of the BC health care system. We are working alongside physicians, obstetricians, pediatricians, psychiatrists, nutritionists, and many others to provide the best care for women and babies in our province. We also believe in the art of midwifery and preserve the learning from generations of midwives who have been catching babies from the dawn of our time.
Midwives are experts in normal birth.
- Midwives receive extensive training as primary health care providers.
- We tailor health care for you and your baby based on your needs and wishes.
- Our scope of care gives us the flexibility to ensure that your clinical needs are thoroughly met.
- We hold onto preserving normal birth respectfully and through educating the public.
- We believe that outreach – from young girls & young women to childbearing women – is the key to spreading awareness of the power of childbirth.
See who our midwives are